May 27, 2012

The point of...

I've read a few pages from a book, this week... Paying close attention to the punctuation  marks...

It got me thinking, the "Point" and the "Comma", some exclamation marks and others, are the cues in the text that here you're supposed to stop and take a breath before you continue reading.

But in life, where do we stop? Where do we take a breath before going forward?

Last week, I finally got some time to eat like a normal person, so I decided to do it.
And right there I realized, that in order to enjoy life, you should STOP and actually do it.

People are running and running, and not realizing life is just passing by. The little things, the trivial ones, like eating slowly, and stopping after every time you put the spoon in your mouth, to chew the food, and not just swallow it, is indeed that time.
The time where you stop and take a breath.


Since then, I've been thinking of the meaning of the "point".

People often say: "Get to the point" or "What's the point?". But what does that really mean?
Are they not willing to wait and listen to the other side as he gets there? Or they don't have the time for it.

Stopping to take a breath once in a while, sometimes is hard to do. We're used to the fast pace of life.
You are born, you grow up, you go to school, go to work , go go go go go...
Nobody in the middle teaches you, until you learn to appreciate it yourself, the need to stop and smell the roses.

I noticed myself, that when I used to run all around, I couldn't remember any of the little things I did to keep myself up and running... Like... Who remembers what you ate for breakfast? Or even if you ate it?
And then again, comes the question - Do I need to remember this detail?

In my opinion, Yes!

Because otherwise, how can you appreciate the good times, if you can't remember the little things.

The point can also be a very final thing...
Since, when you see the point written in the text, it always always means the end of the sentence.
Would the meaning be different, if it didn't have a point in the end?

Think about it...

2 comments:

  1. Hm.
    You have a point.
    People need to stop and just take in everything.
    Reflect on the past,focus on the present and look towards the future.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
    But...
    All play and no work makes Jack a mere toy.
    Being human we don't have time to do that,I mean being lazy all the time does get tiring after awhile.
    Humans have to 'go' in order to 'get'.
    Humans tend to classify things in two categories.
    Trivial and meaningful.
    What I ate for breakfast? Trivial.
    The first A I got in high school(Or the first time I got high XD) Meaningful.
    Basically all I am saying is that there are certain things in life you don't waste time remembering because it wasn't meaningful or didn't matter.
    Focus on the meaningful times.
    They are the key to the "point".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Daryl

    Back then I was in a time of my life, when I didn't have time to eat at all.
    So remembering what I ate for breakfast was indeed meaningful in that point of my life.

    Now it is again trivial, because I've had chances to do it many times since.

    That is why people don't go on vacation every week, because vacation becomes trivial - and do you want it to be?

    However, there are things that do become trivial, and in my opinion shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete

//